I made up tonight’s kale dish using leftovers in our fridge and served it next to marinaded, grilled tempeh.
I made it up as I went along, so these ingredient measurements are approximates.
- oil or water for sauteing
- a few shakes of cumin, garam masala, and turmeric
- 1 small or medium red onion, sliced in half moons
- 1-2 large garlic cloves, slices
- 1/2 large yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 bag chopped kale, rinsed (approx 1 bunch, de-stemmed and chopped)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- about 1 cup cooked brown rice
- balsamic vinegar (a few shakes)
- lemon juice (a few drops, maybe 1 tsp)
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 avocado
- Heat oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Add spices and stir into oil for about 30 seconds. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes, until tender
- Add yellow pepper and saute a few more minutes
- Add kale and water, stir and cover. Steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, add the rice, and cook for a few more minutes until most of the water is gone, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat, add the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the 1/2 avocado and serve
Yield: Side dish of 2-4 servings