We took a last minute trip to the beach with my parents this weekend. None of us had planned ahead about dinners. I thought up this one in a hurry. Delicious, filling and super easy.
Tempeh Taco Salad
- 2-3 packs tempeh
- 1 bottle mexican-themed marinade. We used a chipotle lime marinade
- 5-8 oz baby spinach, pre-washed
- 1.5 large avocados (or 2 medium sized avocados)
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons mild vinegar such as white wine or apple cider
- 1.5 cups black beans (or 1 can, rinsed and rained)
- 3/4-1 cup salsa (freshly chopped salsa that isn’t liquid-like is best for this. I got it from the produce section in Harris Teeter)
- 1-2 cups baby corn, frozen then heated in the microwave until no longer frozen
- Tortilla chips
- 1/2 jar olives, chopped
- Marinade the tempeh ahead of time, for at least 30 minutes and ideally longer
- Grill the marinade on a grill for about 5 minute, flipping on both sides. Or, bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until browned.
- Combine the baby spinach, 1 avocado, olive oil and vinegar in a large salad bowl. Using your (clean) hands or strong salad spoons, mix them together, squishing the avocado until only a few chunks of it are left and it has fully coated the spinach. The spinach should look wet and slightly wilt.
- Mix in the beans, salsa, corn and olives
- Take a couple handfuls of tortilla chips and break them into the salad
- Slice the remaining avocado and add to the bowl
- When the tempeh is finished grilling, slice it in half length-wise. Then slice it into strips horizontally so that you have 1-2 inch strips. Add to the bowl
- Serve topped with extra tortilla chips, salsa, corn, olives, and/or non-dairy sour cream, to taste
Sorry, I don’t have a picture!